Fresh Sphagnum Moss – 5kg Bag – Natural Sphagnum Moss
Ideal for Terrariums, Live Plant Displays and Wreath Making
- DECORATION: The soft, light, pliable form of sphagnum moss makes it a popular choice for lining hanging baskets or for using to create and hold the shape when making up succulent wreaths or other frame built floral displays.
- USES: Ideal for creating terrariums, repotting orchids or for live plant displays. Sphagnum moss has been used for the cultivation of orchids for many years, both for garden and room orchids. Sphagnum moss is an important component of orchid soil. It retains enormous amounts of water and provides the orchids roots constantly and evenly with moisture. It has sterilising properties and hinders growth of putrid (rotting) bacteria due to its antiseptic effect.
- CARE: Very low maintenance, spray with water when dry. Make sure that the moss stays moist or wet at all times. Don`t put it in direct sunlight, it could burn the tips. If you store it in an air-tight container, the moss will stay moist and has to be watered less frequently.
- WHAT YOU WILL RECEIEVE: You will receive a 5kg bag of Sphagnum Moss that is harvested from sustainable sources.
Season of Interest
Moss must be kept damp at all times, otherwise it soon gets brown and crispy and despite being fairly hardy, it will eventually die. If you can use rainwater to keep your moss moist, it will really appreciate the extra nutrients that rainwater offers. In a terrarium setting, if kept properly, it will not need watering as a terrarium environment should keep damp at all times. If outdoors, you will only need to check it every few days to make sure it’s still moist – more often in the summer.
Best Growing Conditions
Moss needs to be kept out of direct sunlight, in a nice damp area and away from strong winds, draughts or radiators. This is what makes it so great for terrarium building – it loves the humidity. It can be left outside all year if you are using in your garden, but needs to be protected from full sun, hard frost and snow.
Sphagnum moss, also known as peat moss, has a wide range of uses, including:
- Horticulture: Sphagnum moss is commonly used in horticulture as a growing medium and for improving soil structure. It is particularly useful for acid-loving plants, such as blueberries and rhododendrons.
- Terrariums: Sphagnum moss is often used in terrariums as a natural substrate for plants and animals. It helps to retain moisture and provides a natural habitat for small animals and insects.
- Wound dressing: Sphagnum moss has antiseptic properties and has been used as a natural wound dressing for centuries. It helps to prevent infection and aids in healing.
- Water filtration: Sphagnum moss is an effective natural water filter, and is commonly used in drinking water treatment facilities. It can remove impurities and contaminants from water, including heavy metals and organic pollutants.
- Fuel: Sphagnum moss can be dried and used as a fuel source. It has been used for centuries as a fuel for heating and cooking.
- Art and crafts: Sphagnum moss can be used in art and crafts projects, such as creating natural wreaths, sculptures, and floral arrangements.
- Aquariums: Sphagnum moss is sometimes used in aquariums as a natural substrate for aquatic plants. It can help to maintain the water’s pH balance and provides a natural environment for fish and other aquatic creatures.
Overall, sphagnum moss is a versatile and useful material with many practical applications.
Sphagnum moss for terrariums
Sphagnum moss is an excellent natural substrate for terrariums and is widely used by hobbyists and professional breeders alike. Here are some reasons why you might want to consider using sphagnum moss in your terrarium:
- Moisture retention: Sphagnum moss has excellent water retention capabilities, making it ideal for use in humid terrariums. It can help to maintain the right level of moisture for your plants, reptiles, or amphibians.
- Natural look: Sphagnum moss has a natural and realistic look, which can enhance the visual appeal of your terrarium. It is available in different colors, such as green, brown, and red, allowing you to create a natural-looking habitat for your pets.
- Absorbs impurities: Sphagnum moss has the ability to absorb impurities and toxins from the terrarium, helping to keep your pets healthy and happy.
- Provides hiding places: Sphagnum moss can be used to create hiding places for your pets, making them feel more secure and reducing stress levels.
- Easy to use: Sphagnum moss is easy to use and can be arranged in a variety of ways to create the desired look for your terrarium.
Overall, sphagnum moss is an excellent substrate for terrariums, providing a natural look, moisture retention, and numerous other benefits. If you are setting up a terrarium, consider using sphagnum moss as part of your substrate.